I was scrolling through my Twitter feed yesterday, and in just a two-hour window I saw three different posts with a headline of “5 Secrets to …” Not 3 Secrets or 7 Secrets — every article had 5 Secrets. Seth Godin blogged about linkbait headlines last week so I had to grin when I saw these articles.
So in keeping with the trend, here are my 5 Secrets to Lame Headlines:
- The “secrets” aren’t really secret, are they? It’s just what some guru said would be a catchy headline.
- Is 5 some kind of magic number? Maybe 3 secrets are not enough, and 7 secrets might be too many to remember.
- The Beethoven’s 5 Secrets video from The Piano Guys on YouTube has over 20 million views. It’s pretty cool and you can see it here Beethoven’s 5 Secrets
- If you Google “5 Secrets” there are about 1,160,000,000 results. I got to page 18 and was overwhelmed with all the different secrets out there.
- One of the Google results was AARP’s 5 Secrets to Brain Health. I can’t remember what my #5 was going to be.